Saturday, December 16, 2006

Trust the Pattern

One of the things I love about knitting is what it teaches me about myself. I am working on my first pair of socks and yesterday I got to the heal shaping. It made no sense to me that I would not knit to the end of the row. I thought for sure that there was a mistake in the pattern. Then I remembered the advice of a very wise and seasoned knitter, Margaret, "trust the pattern." So, I tried it and of course it worked out fine. The pattern was right it was my understanding of how it worked together that needed to be corrected. How much like my daily life that is. So often in my limited perspective I find myself not trusting the process.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Laura said...

The yarn you dyed is SO GREAT! It reminds me a lot of several colorways I was dyeing during the past few months (fall colors). Isn't is awesome to knit with this stuff, seeing how the colors line up next to each other and contrast yet blend so beautifully? Have a lot of fun with it. And yes - trusting the pattern of a good pattern writer is the right thing to do. It's amazing how many socks (read... single socks) that I knit before I really read the patterns properly. And got gauge. It's amazing that I ever continued with all the sock knitting failures I had to endure!! Thank Heaven I did perservere because I really love sock knitting now. :)